Thursday, February 1, 2007
Puff the Lying Dragon
Poor Garrett. Today he learned that he cannot fly. He found two plastic butterfly wings among his toys, which are normally used to make a butterfly with playdough. He said, "Mommy, I want these on my shirt right here." I got some tape and affixed the tiny wings to his shirt. When he was satisfied that they were stuck on, he immediately began to flap and hop, as if trying to take off! When nothing happened, he was quite disappointed. He said, "Mommy, I want to fly! Up there!" I had to laugh. I said, "Garrett, little boys can't fly. People can't fly. Birds can fly." He said, "I want to be a bird. Up there!" He pointed to the sky. He tried the flapping and hopping strategy a few more times. Finally, he just sighed. I said, "Here, I'll help you fly a little bit." I put him in a Superman position and flew him around the room. My mom says that I'm going to throw my back out and I won't be able to lift anything at all, including my own person off of the floor. But, I'm willing to risk it. If you saw Garrett trying to fly, you'd risk your own back too! It occurred to me that Garrett may be trying to fly because we've been watching a Puff the Magic Dragon cartoon. Puff flies Jackie Paper up into the clouds. Together they save a star. Puff tells Jackie that he can do all sorts of things if only he uses his imagination and tries. Garrett will probably question Puffs credibility after today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment