In the past year and a half Garrett has often told me that his is sad or happy. He is very good at being happy. He laughs, jumps for joy, smiles and says he loves me, hugs everyone, claps, and all that other happy stuff. He is also very good at being sad. He says, "Oh, mommy, I so sad," with his head hung low, feet shuffling like Charlie Brown, and his big puppy eyes staring up at me as if to say, "Make the pain go away." Keep in mind that he is usually sad over something like he can't have ice cream for lunch.
This week I have learned that Garrett is not so great at being, or at least staying, angry. After he poked Mary in the eye for the third time (while I was helplessly driving the car), I turned around and yelled at him in a very angry mommy voice. I said, "Garrett! I told you twice not to do that and you did it again! I said DON'T HURT YOUR SISTER! Now you better listen to me, or you're going to be in big trouble." I was so angry.
Garrett started to cry and said, "Don't talk to me mommy!"
I said, "That is not a nice thing to say to your mother. You need to listen to me. You can't hurt your sister."
He huffed and he puffed and said, "I angry mommy! I'm SO ANGRY!"
I said, "You're angry, huh?" I huffed back.
"Yes!"
"Well, you know what you need when you're angry?"
He looked at me quizzically. He didn't know the answer. I said, "You need a kiss." I put my lips out. He smiled and gave me a kiss. I said, "Isn't that better?"
He said, "Yes. I kiss you cheek too."
Now we have a little game. When he gets in trouble and I tell him to behave, he says, "I'm so angry!" and I say, "Then let's have a kiss."
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment