Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Oh To Walk in Garrett's Shoes

One day last Spring we were coming home from a tasty Mexican dinner. It was a grand time because the kids sat in the booth and ate their tacos and didn't throw sugar packets all over the place or spill water in my lap. We had a good time. Chris and I had just finished making the decision to send Garrett to the public kindergarten in our neighborhood (after an agonizing round of visits to other area schools) and we were feeling great about it.

Chris said, "Garrett, we're going to drive by your new school on the way home!"
"Oh! Cool!" Garrett said.
"I like your new school Garrett! It looks like so much fun!"
"Oh, I will like to go to that school."
"Yes," Chris sighed, thinking about the joys of being 5 and going to a super-fun, award-winning school, "It sure would be nice to walk around in your shoes."
Garrett paused. He said, "You want to walk in my shoes?"
"Oh yes! 'Cause your school is really great."
"Hm," thought Garrett, "You mean my Spiderman shoes? Daddy, I think they're too small for you!"

In order to walk in Garrett's shoes, you have to wear a boy's size 12. Sorry, Chris.

No comments: