Sunday, April 15, 2007

Treasure, Popcorn Parties, and Gold Capes

Garrett went to the dentist last week. He had x-rays and he had his teeth cleaned. He was very good for the people who had to work in his mouth and was permitted to choose two pieces of treasure from the treasure chest at the end of our visit. He chose two rubber dinosaurs. Everywhere we went that day he showed everyone his dinosaurs. "Look at what I got! I got that treasure. It's two dinosaurs. You see them?" Everybody learned about Garrett's treasure: Mary's doctor, the nurses, the people in the waiting room, the pharmacist, the grocery shoppers, everyone! Occasionally Garrett would let Mary hold one of the dinosaurs. I think she was getting a little tired of Garrett boasting about his dinosaurs. When we got home Mary took her nap and Garrett and I had a popcorn party with about 10 dinosaurs and dragons. One dragon has fire coming out of his mouth and it was his job to cook the popcorn. Then the dinosaurs and dragons took turns eating and talked about how good the popcorn was (Garrett literally stuffed popcorn down their throats). It was nice to see dragons and dinosaurs getting along so well. When Mary woke up from her nap, the party was over. Garrett said, "We don't want Mary to choke on that popcorn!" I agreed. But then Garrett wanted to put on the dragon costume and try to attack Mary with the gold cape. He likes to put the cape over her head and watch her try to escape. I tell him that this is not allowed. It's not safe or friendly. After Mary was attacked for the third time, I sent Garrett to "time out" and told him that he was no longer permitted to play with the cape. Mary saw that Garrett had dropped the cape to go to his "time out" spot. She got a little devilish grin on her face and picked up the cape. She dragged it over to Garrett's time out spot, stopping just about 3 feet short of him where he could not reach her. She then started to parade the cape around and wave it in front of Garrett as if to say, "Look what I got! I got a little treasure called a gold cape!"

No comments: