Monday, March 12, 2007

What's in Your Pocket?

Today I took Garrett to the mall after school. We had a nice little picnic lunch in the food court and took a long walk around the mall. Garrett was so happy because he had things in his pockets. In his left pocket, he had my lip balm. In his right pocket, he had a purple plastic key. While we were in the mall he would stop people and say, "Hello. Guess what I got in my pocket? I got THIS!" He'd then reveal one of the special items from his pocket. A nice lady or man would say, "Oh, that's nice." Then he'd say, "What's in your pocket?" just like that "What's in your Wallet" Visa commercial. Later we went to Payless Shoes and I got him a pair of sneakers because the weather is finally getting nice and he probably doesn't want to wear his boots. He was very particular about the shoes that he wanted. They are sporty red, white, and black athletic shoes. I tried to persuade him to choose a more versatile pair, but he insisted that the red shoes were HIS! He wanted to wear them out of the store, and once we hit the mall tile, he started stomping all around to hear what kinds of noises his new shoes made. Suddenly, he forgot about the things in his pockets and wanted to show everyone his shoes. The mall security guard said hello to Garrett and he said, "Look, I got this!" and pointed to his shoes. He made a point of showing his shoes to 4 or 5 people. Before we left the mall, we went to Starbucks and I got a coffee and got Garrett a chocolate milk. Guess what happened then? Yep, Garrett cheerfully explained to anyone that would listen that he had new shoes and a chocolate milk. As my dad would say, "Just another red letter day in the life of Garrett." Garrett has a way of making your problems seem small because there are so many things to be happy about in this world: a little something in your pocket, squeaky shoes, and a tasty treat.

1 comment:

Matthew Phelps said...

He is good. You must control your scary face at times.