Sunday, November 15, 2009

Divine

I have been reading a book to Garrett and Mary with the word divine in it. A little girl tastes her father's pasta sauce and says that it is divine. When I first read the word Garrett asked, "What does that mean? Divine?" I said, "Well, in this sentence it means that the pasta sauce is really, really good." The next day I was reading the story again and when I read the sentence, "Mmmm...mmm, divine!" Garrett asked again, "What does that word mean?" Mary chimed in and said, "It means really, really good, remember?" Garrett said, "Oh yeah."

It was bugging me that I didn't completely define divine the night before so I said, "Well, it means even more than that. It means that it's so good it comes from God." Garrett wrinkled his eyebrows in thought and said, "Like, OH MY GOD! That's so good!?" I said, "No, like God created it--God in Heaven."

Garrett thought some more. "You know what I think would be divine? A BIG, HUGE cup of hot chocolate that I could swim in. And I could float on a big marshmallow and sip chocolate from a straw. And then I could put on my goggles and go swimming and dive for chocolate chips and eat them too."

Wow, that really would be divine! Incidentally, since I haven't kept up with blogging I will tell you that our little Miss Moo has an incredible memory. It doesn't surprise me that she would remember my definition of divine word for word. Later, as I was laying with her she said something clever and told her, "You know what, Mary? You are really smart." She looked at me with a big grin and said, "K-Mart smart!" I asked her, "Where did you hear that?" She said, "From that man on the television and he's carrying a lot of presents from a store and he says, "Smart. K-Mart smart. I like the sound of that."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to swim in that pool too!!!