Thursday, September 27, 2007

One, two, tree, sixteen, BOON!




I hate to brag. (Bragging will now commence.) My precious daughter has the fine motor ability to stack 16 wooden blocks. She starts out like most children. One block, now another, here's a third. She starts to feel like something special happens around block 7. She gets a little smile and says, "Uh oh, ooohh!" She selects another block and carefully places number 8. If she is on the floor or working at the table, the stack of blocks becomes to high to place the next block with her short, little arm.

She is not deterred. She stands up or stands on the chair and keeps on building. Each block builds suspense. She starts to say, "Uh oh, boon." Boon is her word for BOOM! She is trying to say, "Will my super special tower of blocks fall this time?" I say, "Mary, wow! You have so many blocks!" I count them and she counts with me. She says, "One, two, tree, seven, seven, nine, six!" Eventually the tower falls and she puts her hands in the air and says, "BOON!" Then she looks like this:

Garrett's occupational therapist says that Mary should be able to stack 6-8 blocks at her age. Like I said, I hate to brag, but I simply can't help myself.

No comments: